Originally a settlement of Scots, there was also a German group that settled here as well. In the late 1800�™s the Seaboard Air Line Railroad made Vass one of the heaviest shipping points for lumber, cotton products and farm produce. The settlement was originally called Bynum and then Winder, but was finally designated as Vass in 1892 in honor of Major William W. Vass, who was a railroad paymaster. Vass was also a loading point for the tar produced from the area’s pine trees. It was the original home of the Pilot newspaper.
Coldwell Banker Advantage Formerly Larose & Company 190 Turner Street, Suite D, Southern Pines, NC 28387